MINING AND RESOURCES
We have a wealth of domestic and international expertise in mining, energy and resources. Due to the numerous resource activities of our clients, the firm has acquired extensive experience and expertise in both domestic and offshore transactions. Our principals have also been involved in publicly listed resources companies as investors and at board level, which means they bring commercial understanding to these transactions that most lawyers lack.
Our lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of the local mining and resources sector and legal requirements including the operating environment, commercial profit-drivers and the social and political issues that face mining and resources companies.
Our lawyers are chosen by industry leaders in both Australia and Asia to represent their most valuable interests. Whittens routinely acts for publicly listed Australian and international companies involved in resource exploration and development. We have clients with interests in a range of resources in various global locations, including Australia, Papua New Guinea, Mongolia and Africa.
Our extensive experience, practical industry knowledge and specialist legal skills in mining and resources law mean that we provide our clients with integrated, effective and relevant legal advice in all issues in the mining and resources sector and help ensure that each client achieves their commercial objectives.
The firm handles the full range of issues that arise in resource exploration, development and production. We provide legal services to assist with:
- Capital raising and project financing;
- Conducting due diligence of tenements, approvals and agreements;
- Regulatory requirements;
- Contract negotiation and documentation including memoranda of understanding, joint venture agreements, strategic alliance agreements, farm-in agreements, sale and purchase agreements, option agreements, royalty agreements, access agreements and commodity agreements;
- Operational contracts including mining and construction contracts and other service, equipment and consumable supply, transport and handling contracts;
- Finance agreements with security over mining assets;
- Marketing, distribution, sales representation and off-take contracts;
- Infrastructure projects, access and construction agreements;
- Foreign Investment Review Board requirements;
- Warden’s court matters, including objections to tenement applications and other disputes; and
- Liaising with the relevant government departments in all necessary jurisdictions.